"And how merciful is our God unto us, for he remembereth the house of Israel, both roots and branches; and he stretches forth his hands unto them all the day long; . . . [and] as many as will not harden their hearts shall be saved in the kingdom of God" (Book of Mormon, Jacob 6:4).

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Jubilee Message

A letter written by Adelia Schaerrer Dixon in Payson, Utah, on March 17, 1931, to her descendants. The letter, along with 107 others, had been placed in a jubilee box pre­pared by the Relief Society of the Nebo Stake in 1931 with the instruc­tion that it be opened on the an­ni­ver­sary of the Relief Society (March 17) in 1981. The envelope containing the letter was addressed to Barbara Jean Fraughton, who was then three years old, and others of Adelia's grandchildren then living. Some of the letters in the box had two-cent stamps on them. The text of Adelia's letter was published in the April 1981 issue of the Family Journal. Ori­gi­nal spellings and punctuation have been retained.

To my dear children and grand­children who may be living at this time. March 17 – 1981. or fifty years hence.

Having been granted this priviledge with the other Relief Society mem­bers of Nebo Stake, to contribute my bit of history, for the Jubilee box to be sealed on March 17th 1931, for a period of fifty years. I deem this a rare priviledge to have this oppor­tunity, of giving my tes­ti­mony also.

I, Adelia Schaerrer Dixon, was born at Payson, Utah, Sept. 2" 1875 and still reside here.

My father, John Jacob Schaerrer was born at Zurich, Switzer­land, in December the year 1845, and is still living at Payson, Utah at this present writing, at the age of 85 years. My mother, Lamecia A. Taylor Schaerrer was born June 18" 1845 - at Mt. Airy, North Carolina – N.C. died some twenty years ago at the age of 65 years.

My husband, Charles C. F. Dixon, born at Payson, Utah, Jan. 6 – 1876, died July 10 – 1929, at the age of 53 years. To this union, (which was solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple, – June 22 – 1898.) was born 13 children, namely: –

(1.) Deone Dixon, b. May 11" – 1899 – d. Dec. 25 –1922. married Seawell Cloward – May 19 – 1918. issue, 2 children – boy; Quinn – 11 yrs, Deone, girl – died at birth.

(2.) Charles Hyrum, b. Oct 26 – 1900 – Ch. Hyrum fulfilled a 2 yr. mission for the LDS church. mar­ried True Call. June 12 – 1923. issue 2 children – Willard Chas. son age 5. daughter Elaine, age 2 1/2 yrs.

(3.) Bernice Dixon, b. Oct 19 – 1902 m. Lowell Fraughton. Aug 1 – 1927 issue 2 children – Barbara – 3 – Patricia 6 mos.

(4.) Douglass Dixon. b. Apr. 17 – 1904. betrothed to Gwen Webster – Dec. 1930.

(5.) Quayle Dixon b. Oct. 17 – 1905. Quayle fulfilled a 2 year mission. m. Ora Jeppson – Oct – 14 – 1926. issue = one son. Darrel. age – 2 yrs.

(6.) Louise Dixon. b. Feb 19" – 1908 m. Blaine Hansen. June 29 – 1927 issue=one daughter Lorainne age 2 yrs.

(7.) Blanchard Dixon. b. Sept. 20 – 1910 m. Mae Taylor. June 25 – 1930.

(8). Junior S. Dixon. b. June 17 – 1912.

(9.) Jean Dixon. b. Dec. 6 – 1913.

(10.) Sheldon S. Dixon b. Oct 2 – 1915

(11) Paul S. Dixon b. Aug. 14 1917.

(12 - 13) George Albert and Byron. (Twins.) b. and died Oct 24 – 1919.

My husband was a wonderful pro­vider for his family, and was much endeared to them, always kind, and very considerate to my­self and child­ren.

Teaching and encouraging them, to live the Gospel of the Lord – Jesus Christ.

My husband"s father, Charles Hyrum Dixon b. about 1849 – and died about 1874, married Matilda Douglass Dixon, (my husband’s mother) b. about 1851 - mother of three children – and a widow at the age of 29 years.

My parents were both converted to the gospel, by Mormon mis­sion­aries, in their respective countries and taught their child­ren the true principles of Faith, Repentance and Baptism for the reception of the Holy Ghost.

In my early youth, I was much impressed by my father’s prayers, wherein he implored, the Father in Heaven, to help us to shun evil, even the very appearance of the same.

I believed greatly in prayer, and have found its efficacy in almost immediate answers, many, many times.

I am very grateful, to be counted among the people of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, and have tried, and am trying each day, to live up to its teachings and obey its principles.

I was given a father’s blessing by an elder of the Church – a member of each organization in turn – 1st Primary, Mutual Improve­ment and later Relief Society.

Sometime before my marriage, I was asked to teach a class in Sunday School – which I respond­ed – as I did all other requests that have come to me by those in autho­rity over me; in the Church.; also in Civic and Social affairs –

During my married life I was chosen and set apart as Treasurer of the Nebo Stake Primary Asso­cia­tion, which position I held for a few years. Later I joined the Relief Society and acted in the capacity of a District Teacher. for a number of years.

Later I was called into the Stake Board Relief Society as a Literary Class Leader, which duty I per­formed for several years.

Later, on July 11 – 1930 I was called to act as President of the 1st Ward Relief Society of the Nebo Stake of Zion, with sister Edna Street as first and sister Etta Jeppson as second councellors.

I have always had great faith in the principles of the Gospel as taught to me by my noble parents, and it was while attending school at the Brigham Young Academy, when stricken suddenly with hemmorage of the stomach and pro­nounced by Dr. S.H. Allen, that it was almost an utter impossibility for me to live, that through the faith and prayers excercised in my behalf – and my name sent to the Temple of God, at Salt Lake City, that I was miraclously healed – and permitted to live, and fulfill the measure of my creation. I felt to give God thanks continuously for thus sparing my life.

After a period of twenty years, I was again brought to the point of death, before and after the con­fine­ment of my twin baby boys. I was a mere skeleton, you might say, weigh­ing only 94 lbs. when taken to the Latterday Saints Hospital in Salt Lake City and operated on, three major operations for Stomach Trouble and came very nearly passing to the Great Beyond –, but the mercy of the Lord again came to my rescue, and again my life was pro­longed, for surely a wise and glorious purpose.

And so, I wish to leave with you, my dear children, and grand­children, my Testimony, that I do know, that by living as near as possible to the teachings of the Gospel, of Jesus Christ that, we are blessed spiritually and temporially, and that by pay­ing our tithes and offerings unto the Lord, He will bless, protect, and comfort in time of need, or distress, and by being prayerful, at all times, He will be your constant guide and companion, through the reception of the Holy Ghost, and inspire you, at all times to do the right deed at the right time.

Do not fail to acknowledge the blessings and goodness of the Lord unto you, at all times. Never be ashamed in doing what is right and proper, and finally the dear Lord will be pleased to have you enter into His kingdom, crowned with the faithful to receive your inheritance, which you have justly earned.

May this be your happy lot, all of us, and each of you, my dear children and grand­children, and I pray that it may be so, in the name of Jesus Christ – Amen.

– Your mother and grandmother,
Adelia S. Dixon.

No comments: