"And how merciful is our God unto us, for he remembereth the house of Israel, both roots and branches; and he stretches forth his hands unto them all the day long; . . . [and] as many as will not harden their hearts shall be saved in the kingdom of God" (Book of Mormon, Jacob 6:4).

Sunday, March 9, 2008

In Memory of Grandma Lange

A blog posted by Eliza Cleverly Challis on Sunday, February 24, concerning her grandmother, Barbara Jean Fraughton Lange (1928-1994)


Grandma Lange died fourteen years ago today. Boy, did I love her! I was in the fourth grade when she died, and she was the only grandma I ever knew. My dad’s mother passed away when I was baking in my mama’s belly. Grandma Cleverly and I may have had brief hellos and hugs as we each slipped through the veil.

My Grandma Lange was an extraordinary person, much like my mother is. Grandma certainly loved to laugh and she loved deeply. I imagine the charity that comes without any second thoughts or reservations to my own mother, grew in my mom under the example, love, and care of her mom (and Grandpa too!).

Grandma was a college graduate (from the University of Utah, I might add. See, she had great taste!). Back in public school days when you had to fill out those sheets that listed how much education your parents and grandparents attained, I loved that I could fill out college graduate for all the women and so even at a young age I knew that I wanted to be a college grad too.

I ended up in the emergency room at Lakeview Hospital on April 27, 1994 (two months after her death), with a kidney infection. My Grandma died of kidney failure after many, many years on dialysis. Grandma was my guardian angel that day. You see, April 27th was her birthday. She was taking care of me and making sure that I was taken care of. I’m sure later times in my life she was also there to help me too. That’s what grandmothers do for their grandchildren after all.

I was quite young when Grandma died and I only ever knew her through the eyes of a child. I wonder sometimes how it would have been and what my relationship with her would be like now as I’m an adult, if she were still alive today. But then again, I don’t wonder. She was my Grandma and I was her granddaughter—we’d love each other. And I still do!

No comments: